Sunday, July 7, 2013

Baby Clothes Blanket

Wow!  Again it's been awhile since I last posted.  This having a blog thing is no joke!  In all honesty, I just haven't made time for it.  I know how much I enjoy seeing other people's crafts and activities so I feel bad when I haven't shared my own for others to try.  I've since made a list of the topics I want to post about, so hopefully in the next week I'll be caught up better (fingers crossed).  I also feel like this is a better forum to share my crafts and activities as opposed to Facebook which I've been using to share my crafts.  

So, enough of my babbling...on to the topic of this post--Natalie's baby clothes blanket.  I started this blanket back in 2011.  I was petrified to cut her clothes.  I was so worried I would cut them but then never finish the blanket.  Or I'd cut them and mess up.  Or I'd cut them and wish I had just stored them in a box.  Well, obviously none of the fears actually happened.  I did finish, I didn't mess them up and I don't wish I had just stored the clothes.

Here are some pics from this adventure...




In the beginning I chose outfits that she outgrew and I adored.  These included her coming home outfit, Christmas pjs, Thanksgiving outfit and a few other favorites that Mark and I had.






After choosing the outfits I cut out the parts that I wanted to include on the blanket.  In most cases these were the embroidered parts of the fronts of the clothes.  After cutting them to the size I wanted I arranged them the way I wanted them.  I had to trim some of them to make a rectangle.  This was probably the most challenging part of the whole project.

When the pieces were arranged to my liking, I sewed the sides together to make four rows.  Then I sewed all four rows together.

I used two receiving blankets we used with Natalie to create the back of the blanket.  I cut them in half and sewed them together so that there were four large rectangles.  That was the template I used to determine how big to make the blanket and how to arrange the clothing.


 By this point all of the pieces were sewn together so it was time to sew the front of the blanket to the back.  I thought about putting batting in the blanket but with this being Florida I decided against it.  We rarely need really heavy blankets and I wanted something Natalie would be able to use year-round.






So, I simply sewed right sides facing all the way around the blanket, leaving about six inches to turn the blanket right-side-out.

I wanted to make sure the blanket didn't separated from the back while using it, so using a straight stitch I sewed in between each piece of clothing so that each piece was secured to the back of the blanket.  Finally I went around and straight stitched around the entire outside of the blanket to make a more finished look.


So here you have it!  All done after about two years in between start and finish.  It took a back burner for awhile. :)  I'm really happy with the way it turned out.









               The back...









   One of Mark's favorite outfits.











This is Natalie's favorite on the blanket.  I like it because it reminds me of when I taught at Lake George (the mascot there is the giraffe).











The outfit Natalie wore home from the hospital.






As with most projects there are a few things I'd like to do differently next time...

*use smaller pieces of the clothes and make them a standard square instead of different shapes

*buy and use a rotary cutter and mat as opposed to just scissors

Regardless, I love it cause Nat seems to love it too and it's something our family will have for many years to come!


Thanks for visiting my blog.  I hope to have new posts for you to look at soon!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment