Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Apple Unit--Tot School

Natalie is 25.5 months old

Ok, so I'm trying to decide where to start with catching up on my posts.  Do I start where I left off in hopes that I eventually catch up or do I work backwards so at least I'm kinda up-to-date?  I think I'm going to work backwards.  Might make it easier for me to keep up.

I've got a lot on my plate right now: we're preparing to move, I'm getting items ready for a big consignment sale next month, I'm trying to find time to make cards for my Etsy store Handmade on Jupiter and I'm working with my friend to get items together for tot school.  I can't believe how quickly time goes by, and have started feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all.  I would like to keep the blog going, however, because I really like having things documented and I think it'll be great for us to look back on in the future.  Here's to keeping up with it! :)

The last two weeks my friend Megan and I worked on an Apple Unit with the kids (she has twin boys 26 months old and I have Natalie who is 25.5 months old).  Living in Florida, we haven't had much of a change in our weather, but *usually* people think of apples in September.  Hence the apple theme.


I've changed all that is included on the plans a bit since my last post, but I find it easier to include all the information about the theme on the same page as the daily plans.  I've also dedicated a Pinterest board to each theme we do since I'm working with my friend on these units.  It makes it easier for us to keep track of all the great ideas we've found online.  In case you want to look at all the resources we found...


Here's a look at some of the fun activities the kids did in this unit...

Apple sensory bin...dry beans base, cookie cutter
letters, play food apples, pom poms, tp tree trunk,
tissue paper "leaves".
Apple tree counting practice


Color sorting

Letter sorting








Playing with the sensory bin.  She decided to match up the letters in the bin to the letters on the apples.  She also used the "fork" (play kitchen utensil from her kitchen set) to take the "apples" off the tree and put them in the correct color bin.






Letting the farm animal eat the "Five Apples On the Tree".  She liked moving the animals to the living room to play with them too.









Fingerpainting an apple and the letter "A".
Love Color Wonders products!




Playing in the boys' apple sensory bin.  Megan used oatmeal for the base so it was a different texture than what she was used to.  The oatmeal is messier, but the kids really enjoyed playing with it.






The kids made applesauce to enjoy with their lunches for the day.  I'll tell ya what...having an apple peeler/core-er/slicer makes it much easier to prepare the apples!  They had a blast making the applesauce.

Reading a book about making applesauce.

Helping peel the apple...

Slicing pieces of apple (with plastic knives)
while Megan and I get the next step ready.

I think she likes it! :)
Helping Megan stir the apples.  We talked
about how the stove was HOT and not to
touch during this step. :)



While the applesauce was cooking the kids did some apple painting.  We sliced an apple in half and let them dip it in paint then stamp it on the paper.  Simple, but the kids liked it.  Nat still doesn't really care to have her hands dirty, as you can tell from her stamping picture. LOL It turned out pretty cute, I think!






















This has nothing to do with our apple unit, but it was a cute picture of Natalie looking at the camera and smiling so I have to include it. :)

I was packing some things this day and gave her an empty box.  She started standing in it and spinning.  Then, to my astonishment, she looked at me and said "Mommy take picture?"  Lately she's been avoiding the camera, so I totally jumped on that chance! LOL







Coloring a tree and apples I drew.


Making a contact paper apple. Notice Baby Kitty is
close by. :)


Hi everybody!
So, there you have it...our apple unit.  Megan and the boys were sick all last week, so we didn't meet with them for the second week of our unit.  That's why there aren't as many pictures as there normally would be.  We didn't really get everything done from the second week of the theme, but Natalie seemed to have fun with the activities we *did* get to.  

Thanks for reading!  Check back for posts on our previous tot school themes as I get caught up.  I'm hoping to post about our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and BBQ units soon.

Any suggestions or questions you have for the apple unit?  Let me know in the comments below!

Take care!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment