Sunday, March 11, 2012

Couponing 101 ~ Where to Get the Coupons

In talking with friends and family about my shopping trips, most are very shocked when I tell them I rarely spend over $30/week on groceries for our household (2 adults, 1 toddler).  When I share my shopping trips with them, they are amazed and can't believe some of the deals I get.  Even my husband gets that way sometimes. LOL

The thing is, it isn't hard.  At all.  Most of the wonderful ladies on couponing sites such as Southern Savers and Saving Well, Spending Less do the hard work for you.  I can't explain how thankful I am for the ladies and their crews who provide all the deals for us each week.

I'll admit, in the beginning I was very frustrated.  I never had the right coupons because I didn't have many inserts.  There were no newspapers at the stores when I went to buy one.  I felt very unorganized with all the coupons I had.  After about a month, however, it became very fun and exciting each week to see what kind of deals I could find.  Once I had the coupons to match the deals, I was hooked!

I want everyone to be able to have the kind of savings we've had in our house (I'll be posting about that soon), so I'm going to share what I've done so you can do the same.  I am not a professional at this and don't know everything.  I do have 18 months of experience and that has got to be worth something, right? :) Obviously, depending on where you live it'll be a little different, but you may find some of the same resources for your area.

Where do I get my coupons?
For those of you in the Central FL area, go to this site to see if you can have the Sentinel Express delivered to your house FOR FREE.  It is delivered on Saturday mornings and includes most of the flyers from Sunday's paper, and, more importantly right now, the coupon inserts.  I will say that some weeks not all the inserts are included, but that's usually the exception.

I also have a regular Sunday subscription to the Orlando Sentinel.  Right now I've been getting flyers to order it for $0.89/week for Sunday only delivery.  That's a HUGE savings over buying it at the store.  I've even seen it for as low as $0.51/week certain times a year.  Please note,in order to get this deal, you cannot have had a subscription for the last 30 days, so timing is everything.

Through these two sources I wind up with two of each insert each week.  This has been PLENTY for our family of three and a cat.  I'm not going to go into the correct number of papers to buy, but just know that sales cycles are in 6 week increments so you don't have to buy out the store when something's on sale.  It'll be on sale again (with coupons for it) in 6 weeks.  That being said, we are a small family and only you know what's best for your family.  As far as I know you can have more than one paper delivered to your home if needed.

Do you have any other sources of coupons you'd like to share?  Leave it in a comment!

Next up...How I Organize My Coupons

No comments:

Post a Comment