Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Ornaments from Baby Clothes


After going through all the clothes that Natalie has outgrown, I was feeling pretty sad about just packing them up and putting them in a box.  Initially I came up with the plan to make a quilt out of them.  Then, as I started planning more, I realized that a bunch of fabric was going to go to waste by making just the quilt.

With Nat being 16 months old it's been a bit of a challenge having the Christmas tree up.  She wants to take down all the ornaments, even though I've only put a few she can't break toward the bottom.  That's when the idea came to me...make stuffed Christmas ornaments out of the leftover fabric from her baby clothes!  I figured I'd make it easy on myself and form simple shapes...circles, squares and triangles.

I cut the backs off the outfits I am using for the quilt, traced the shape onto the fabric and cut out the shape (I used card stock to make one circle, one square and one triangle to trace onto the fabric).

Next, I cut about four inches of ribbon to hang each ornament and placed it in between the two pieces of fabric (right sides facing).  Then I just sewed about 3/4 of the way around the ornament using a straight stitch.  I was a little nervous to use the sewing machine on mostly knit fabrics because of any pulling that may occur, but it was good practice for when I put the quilt together.

After sewing almost all the way around the shape I turned the ornament ride-side-out and stuffed it with batting.  Finally I hand stitched the remainder of the ornament and was done!

Here are some of my favorites, with pictures of Natalie wearing the outfit...





It took a few nights and afternoons to finish all 25 or so, but overall was a fairly simple project. 






Plus I got them done before Christmas so Natalie can practice putting them on and taking them off.  And putting them back on.  And taking them back off, etc.





I highly recommend this project for anyone looking for a cute, simple project using old baby clothes.  I love that we'll get to see these ornaments and be reminded of the outfits each Christmas.  The outfits won't just be sitting in a box in a closet. :)

Thanks for reading!

I'm linking this handmade craft to Tip Junkie

Tip Junkie handmade projects



2 comments:

  1. great idea I'm soooo gonnan do this as i have boxes of clothes i just done wanna get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! It was really simple!

    ReplyDelete