Friday, September 9, 2011

Pillowcase Dress

Ever since I saw the tutorial for a pillowcase dress at Prudent Baby and LBG Studio I have wanted to make one for Natalie.  I've never made clothes before using my sewing machine, so I kept pushing the project off, too scared to give it a shot.  Well, last night around 10:30pm, after Nat went down for the night I decided it was time to just do it.  I was up til 3:30am working on it, and I'm really happy with how it turned out!




I trimmed the ribbon a little bit, but I think I might change it to a thinner ribbon.  I had the brown ribbon on hand, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Maybe after a few washes it'll be a little more flexible and look neater (lay flatter).  Natalie didn't seem to mind though:




This project wouldn't have taken so long if I knew how to use bias tape.  I bought brown bias tape to use along the bottom and in the arm holes of the dress.  I decided to skip the bottom and just do the arms in the middle of working on it.  I sewed the bias tape onto the arm holes, but couldn't get it to lay flat.  After working on it for an hour, I decided I didn't like the way it looked, so spent another half hour or so removing the bias tape.  I was bummed, but by then it was almost 2am and I just wanted to finish the dress before going to bed.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get bias tape to lay flat on rounded areas?

Other than the bias tape snafu, everything else went well.  Can't wait to make more!  I might even make a few short ones for cute little shirts for next summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment