Monday, September 5, 2011

Natalie's Cottage

Mark and I got a grill a few months back and as soon as I saw the box, the only thing I could think of was "I HAVE to make something out of this box."  And so the planning began...

What I needed for this project:    a large box
                                                    wrapping paper you don't want to use
                                                    fabric
                                                    ribbon
                                                    crayons/markers
                                                    tape/scrapbook adhesive
                                                    box cutter
                                                    scissors
                                                    scrapbook embellishments (optional)

The great thing was I had everything I needed for this at the house already!



I started with the box.  Natalie wanted to check it out before I started.


I decided there would be a flap on the right side of the front and I'd cut the left flap off.

 Natalie figured out how to use the flap right away.



I wanted a variety of windows on the cottage, so on the right side I cut out a window-sized hole.  I decided to put curtains in that window with the fabric I had.  On the left side of the house, I made saloon-like doors so Natalie could open and close the window.

Since there was print on the box, I needed to cover that somehow.  I had rolls of wrapping paper that I knew I'd never use, so I used that to cover the box (print side down).  I used scrapbook adhesive and scotch tape to adhere the wrapping paper to the box.


The other issue I had was the top flap wouldn't stay up.  I wanted to keep it on there for support, so I decided to use the flap I cut off the left side of the front to make a sign for the top of the cottage.  I poked holes in the top of the box (through the top flap too) and ran a ribbon through the holes, bringing the ends through the holes on the top of the the box.  I slipped the ends through holes on the sign I made and tied them in a knot.  Doing that kept the sign in place and pulled the top flap up.






For the left front, I had fabric I wanted to use as a curtain.  I decided to poke holes in the top and cut holes into the fabric.  I used ribbon to loop through the holes and tied it in a knot on top of the cottage.








Of course Natalie had to try it out as we went along. :)






Next I put up the curtains in the right-side window.  Again, I poked holes in the top of the window and cut holes in the fabric I was using for the curtain.  This time I decided to loop the ribbon from the inside out and tie it in a knot on the outside of the window.




Here's what we have so far...












Nat was waiting so patiently!







The last step was to draw the details on the cottage.  I went back and forth about whether to use crayons or markers.  On one hand the markers would be nice and bright, but I wasn't sure how well it would stick to the glossy paper.  On the other hand, crayons wouldn't be very brightly colored, but should do well sticking to the paper.  In the end I decided to go with crayons.






Natalie tried to help with the drawing, but it didn't work out so well.










                    The right-side window...
                    flower garden underneath.








                                                                   




The left-side window...with flower box and dragonfly embellishment.



The back...flowers in the garden, shutters, hand-drawn curtains, butterfly embellishment, potted plant.  I didn't want to cut a window in the back because I didn't know how sturdy the box would be with another hole cut in it.




Sign details.  I added some scrapbook embellishments on here too.  I also put her Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Kitchen inside to make it homier. :)






The front..I drew the curtains in and put a potted plant in the window.  And of course the flowers (can you tell I like to draw flowers? LOL)




The finished product.  Nat goes in it every once in awhile.  I think she'll get more use out of it as she gets older.  I had a great time making it, so at this point I think it was more for me than her. :)

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE JUST TOO CREATIVE...YOU'RE RIGHT, I THINK YOU ENJOYED DOING THIS AS NATALIE WILL HAVE PLAYING IN IT IN THE FUTURE...MOM=)

    ReplyDelete